Nowadays JIRA is the most powerful test management tool. However, it should be noted that a considerable part of its potential is made up of many plugins and add-ons. In this article we will consider 10 of them, which really help to manage your testing process on different stages. We present to you the 10 useful plugins and add-ons for JIRA.
At present, the Atlassian offers more than 2600 add-ons and plugins for JIRA. So, let’s start to review the most significant ones.
Table of Contents for 10 useful plugins and add-ons for JIRA
- 1 Zephyr for JIRA
- 2 Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA
- 3 JIRA Toolkit Plugin
- 4 JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions
- 5 JIRA Charting Plugin
- 6 Portfolio for JIRA
- 7 Tempo Timesheets
- 8 Adaptavist Test Management for JIRA
- 9 JIRA Bamboo Plugin
- 10 Jenkins Plugin for JIRA
Zephyr for JIRA
The Zephyr for JIRA allows you to organize, manage, search, plan, execute and report on testing activities for managed in JIRA projects. Simultaneous using of JIRA and Zephyr gives you really one of the best test management tools.
The main features and advantages of Zephyr:
- Testing is similar JIRA process. There is no difference in managing your issues and JIRA ones.
- It is embedded within JIRA screen, to make your testing easily.
- Powerful search with Execution Navigator and Zephyr Query Language.
- Wide range of the test case management functions
- It is easy to integrate with other JIRA plugins and add-ons.
- Individual configuration of the metrics and dashboards.
- Export of the Test cases to the Word, Excel formats.
- You can create multiple cycles test iterations
- High linkage traceability between stories, test cases and bugs in the testing cycles.
- Agile board for the comprehensive test case review.
- Filters are well customized.
Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA
Adaptavist ScriptRunner for JIRA is an in-line editor, which allows you to write groovy scripts.
Features of Adaptavist ScriptRunner:
- An ability to extend JIRA functionality
- Extended JQL functions (hasLinks, has Attachments, hasComments or subTasksof) in the informative users reports
- Special event handlers for JIRA
- Automatic cooperation with specified JQL queries
JIRA Toolkit Plugin
The JIRA Toolkit Plugin is a powerful set of the extensions for JIRA.
Some features of JIRA Toolkit Plugin:
- A wide range of useful custom fields
- You have an ability to filter information which would otherwise be unavailable
- It helps to avoid existing JIRA constraints to solve some specific problems
JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions
JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions is performed for the implementation of JIRA Server and JIRA Cloud workflows.
JIRA Misc Workflow Extensions features:
- Different validators of the workflow
- Workflow conditions
- Post-functions of the workflow
- It is closely integrated with other Atlassian products
- An ability to administrate JIRA projects and host application
JIRA Charting Plugin
JIRA Charting Plugin provides different charts and reports for JIRA.
JIRA Charting Plugin’s features:
- It provides additional options for the visual representation of a project in different contexts.
- The variety of gadgets and reports are available in the JIRA Charting Plugin.
- Issue Navigator with “Charting” View.
- You can create the additional custom fields (Resolution Date, First Response Date, and Time in Status).
Portfolio for JIRA
Portfolio for JIRA is the comprehensive management tool for Agile testing.
Portfolio for JIRA features:
- It is seamlessly integrated with JIRA
- Team and project visibility tools
- An ability to export reports to CSV files
- You can create project-specific or cross-project releases
- An ability to configure the release dates
- Issues assignment to the sprints
- An ability to track progress and status
- Re-prioritization of the work items
- An option to create multiple “what-if” scenario plans
- Both story points and time-based estimates planning
Tempo Timesheets is a special JIRA integrated time tracker.
The main features of the Tempo Timesheets:
- It allows tracking time for client billing, accounting, payroll, enhanced efficiency, and forecasting.
- Tempo Timesheets helps to increase data accuracy in the real-time mode.
- You can manage cost centers across your business.
- Internal time management tools set is available.
- An ability to create flexible reports on organizational resources and activities.
Adaptavist Test Management for JIRA
Test Management for JIRA is another popular plugin designed by Adaptavist. It is called the number one Test Management add-on in the JIRA environment.
The main features of the Test Management for JIRA:
- Interface is easy to learn and user-friendly.
- An ability to reuse Test Cases for the regression testing.
- Test Case Versioning.
- You can use REST API for free to support test automation.
- Test steps sharing between tests.
- Support of the keyword driven testing.
- Multilanguage support: English, German, Spanish, Portuguese and Italian.
JIRA Bamboo Plugin
JIRA Bamboo Plugin is used for the integration between the bug tracking system and the continuous integration server – Bamboo.
The main features of the JIRA Bamboo Plugin:
- You have an ability to remotely run the build release directly from JIRA without having to go to Bamboo.
- You can view artifacts after the build is complete.
- You can get information about the builds and their statuses, the user who started the build, the build revision and duration, the date and time of the completion of the process etc.
Jenkins Plugin for JIRA
Jenkins Plugin for JIRA is the add-on specially developed by the Marvelution for fast and convenient integration between these popular tools. Due to such plugins, JIRA stays at the top list of the best test management software.
The main features of the Jenkins Plugin for JIRA:
- Build visualization on the Jenkins server in JIRA.
- It helps the user to determine what data should be synchronized and which ones can be skipped.
- Synchronization processes speed up.
- Dashboard with information on the activity of the project and the builds performed.
As you can notice, JIRA plugins and add-ons really enforce your set of test management tools. Hope, this article will help you to choose the add-ons, which can help you in your test management activities.
Yana Gusti, Blogger/Columnist at EasyQA. Yana is passionate about helping organizing QA workflow, with 5 years QA experience bringing the Test Management Tools to boost QA process for the team.